The Challenge School, its students, and staff are recognized every year for excellence. Highlights include:
* On the CSAP/TCAP, Challenge School consistently ranks among the top schools in the state
* Challenge School has received the John J. Irwin Schools of Excellence Award every year since the award’s inception in 2000.
* Challenge School is the first elementary school in the Denver area to offer the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Program.
* In Destination Imagination, students have placed at district and state level competition and qualified for world competitions.
* Challenge School's Art department was recognized by the Colorado Arts Alliance as a “School of Excellence.”
* Several students have placed with their projects at the Denver Metro Regional Science Fair over the past years. In addition, students have been awarded the Etkin Engineering award, Gates Mineral Club award, and the Tardis award.
* Students have published work in the Colorado Kids Create magazine.
* Challenge School students in recent years have won about half of the Colorado Mathematics League middle school contests.
* Challenge School students have consistently scored high as individuals on the University of Northern Colorado Math Contest.
* Challenge is consistently one of the top middle schools taking the American Junior High School Mathematics Examination, and Challenge School students have consistently had the largest number of students make the Honor Roll of the American Math Competitions 8th grade contest and have consistently scored among the top half of the state's high schools entered in the American Math Competition 12th grade contest.
* Challenge School students consistently place in the Optimist Speech Club contest
* Chess teams at both the elementary and middle school level consistently place at top levels
* Challenge School students historically have scored high at both district and state level spelling bees with one 5th grade student moving on to Scripps National Spelling Bee and placing 9th.